.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Well, lets see if this blog lasts longer than a bored afternoon. Lotus domino, community wireless networks, Camberwell, greater London Ladies Drinking Club, mojitos, Burning Man and big art in general...

Monday, September 26, 2005

opera

the bitter tears of petra von kant - ENO

ok, I've never been to see an opera. Well, I saw Die Vledermaus once - like 2 decades ago, when twatted, in SA. Doesn't really count now does it.

set - mmm, 70's kinda flat scenery but demarcated into different rooms by area and design. Costumes - 70's fabulousness, with wigs used as part of ones wardrobe - reminds me of my mum back in the day. *titter* v. glam.
sung in english, but, due to the soaring operatic-ness of the voices, rendered impossible to make out the words usually. No matter - they had a scrolling text thingie above proscenium arch. Kinda odd to have someone sing rather ordinary dialogue though - e.g. " oh damn.." sung opera stylee.
Loads of queerness in the audience - guess due to subject matter and all those DINKIES.

I loved it. The story line was easy enough to follow - due to my opera partner kindly sending me a link to the synopsis. Dramatic ol love/hate story, set in Berlin. Entire experience enboldened by fizz and BMP. Yes lady, you know who you are. The ENO itself is rather delicious - well the bits that I saw. I aspire to a box.

Went off to Browns for quick booze top up afterwards. Then to G-Lounge for HUSSY. Interesting muzak, probably interesting crowd. Me, being ancient - got bored and wanted to go home.

1 Comments:

Blogger Improbulus said...

Sounds good. But hey if they sang it properly then you'd be able to make out the words, operatic-y or not... blame their e-nun-cia-tion, I will! Still, maybe I'll try & catch it sometime. But is the ending really miserable, because if it is I won't bother!

11:32 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home